Security on Campus: Here to help 24/7

Heading into the final weeks of Semester, you may find yourself staying later for group team meetings, quiet study, or getting resources from the library.  Also too as Winter approaches it is getting dark earlier and you may not feel safe walking to your car if campus is quiet and dark, I know I don’t.  I get these scared eyes on… seriously I am sure this is what I look like even just putting my rubbish bin out at night.

So I thought I would visit our campus security office and find out how it is they are here to support us on campus.  All of this information is also available on the La Trobe Website, you simply search security.  Security is 24/7 across campuses and if you turn over your student ID card, you will also find their details on the back of it.  But hey, read below and take the time to add campus security and uni safe escort to your contacts in your phone.  That way you will always have it should you need it.

Uni-Safe Escort

Worried about walking to your car after dark?  Not sure if it is safe or not?  Don’t risk it, Security Officers are available to escort students and staff after dark between buildings, campus car parks and local transport points.  You simply phone security on extension 2012 or externally on (03) 9479 2012.

Emergency Response

For any emergency where there is immediate danger and police, fire or ambulance is required – we call 000.  Then the next step is to call campus security (all campuses except Bendigo and Sydney) on (03) 9479 2222, ext 2222 or free call external on 1800 800 613.  To read up on emergency procedures and critical incident response, check out this link.

Bendigo and Sydney Campus have different numbers for security.  Click here to find your campus details.

Bendigo Campus
Internal Extension 8999 or 7999
Free call External 1800 077 043
Sydney Campus
Internal Extention 70113
External Phone (02) 9964 6113
Email security.225es@navitas.com

Check out this YouTube clip for more information for safety around campus:

IMPORTANT! You have a VOICE!

For any other concerns or if you need support in relation to harassment, discrimination, violence or other forms of unacceptable behavior by another student or staff memeber you can call and discuss this with the Speak UP team on  (03) 9479 8988.  If you need free, confidential counselling and referral support after the hours of 9am-5pm weekdays, you can call La Trobe’s Support and Prevention Hotline on 1300 687 399. Read more about SPEAK UP via this link.

Stay safe everyone and remember to add these numbers to your contacts on your phone.

3

Melinda