Reflections of a 3rd Year Student

So this is my last semester at La Trobe, and it’s a bittersweet feeling. On the one hand, I am happy that I’m going to finish my degree. I feel a little burnt out from all the studying and I want to get a job. On the other hand, I’ve had some of the most fun moments here and it’s going to be hard saying goodbye. I was thinking about the things that I did and the things that I didn’t do, and came up with some reflections about my years at La Trobe.

Living in residence was the best!

I had the chance of living in Chisholm College last year and it was one of the most fun years ever. The social life is pretty cool, making friends was so easy and there’s always something to do for everyone. If you are a party animal, there’s plenty of parties every week. Are you more of a chill person? You can catch a movie or play some pool too. If I were to go back in time, I would definitely live in residence again. I’d recommend moving there if you have the chance! I promise you’ll not regret it. Besides, you can wake up 10 minutes before class and still make it. What’s better than that?

source: duhocduytan.org/

Finding a job on campus was even better

I was lucky enough to be able to find a job on campus, and I love it! The flexibility you get from working at uni is the best. You can fit work around your schedule and you don’t need to commute. If you see a job on campus, make sure that you jump on it ASAP. It will also give you valuable experience for when you start looking for graduate positions. Keep an eye on CareerHub and Unitemps for jobs.

work-penguin

source: giphy.com/

I took good advantage of my course

When I came to La Trobe I set the goal to take my studies seriously (or more seriously than back home, anyway). This made me study more, stay up to date with the content and learn a lot, a lot more. I think studying this much made me take real advantage of my course. It does get challenging at some points, but the end results are totally worth it. I’ve learned a bunch of things that will help me become a good professional.

studying

source: giphy.com/

I wish I joined a club or society

One of the things I regret the most is not joining any club or society. I always thought that I didn’t have time for it, but now that I think about it, I probably do. It would’ve been cool to share a common interest with people and make new friends! Some volunteering would’ve been nice as well. Maybe I’ll do it if I come back for my masters.

clubs

I wish I did a summer internship

Doing a summer internship relevant to my degree is another thing I think I missed out on. I think is going to be a little bit more difficult to find a job considering how competitive everything is right now. I’ll guess we’ll have to wait and see. If you have the chance to do an internship, do it! It will make your life so much easier down the track.

internship

source: giphy.com/

I’ve changed a lot since I first joined uni and I’m happy about all the progress I’ve made. It has been a fun few years and I happy I did them at La Trobe. I’m definitely grateful for all the things I did here and I’d only change very little. Everything has gone so fast and I can’t believe I’m about to finish my degree! Good luck with the rest of the semester and see you in another post!

2

Alejandro