2

Reflections of a 3rd Year Student

I haven’t had my cup of coffee today so this might be a rough post, forgive me. Though, actually, coffee is a good place to start because my love (and maybe semi-dependence) for it definitely was something that happened over time while I was at uni. I used to not drink it at all then, I drank it for the sake of drinking coffee while out with friends then I drank it to stay awake and now, I still drink it to stay awake but also because I genuinely enjoy it.

Anyway, this is a really roundabout way of saying that you start and end university as two extremely different versions of yourself. One is probably better than the other or they could both be good but the two are never the same. I’m proud of the person I was but I’m also proud of the person I am now. University has helped shaped so much of me- how I deal with adversity, how I deal with new people, how I deal with my superiors, how I deal with my time, and so on. While we’re in it, we don’t always feel the change happening because most of the time, it’s subtle and it is in the little day to day things we do.

Coping with stress and applying what I have learned into the ~real world~ are also things that I have learned while here. I’m genuinely excited to test my resolve and the mechanisms that I’ve established while at university in a job that will demand a lot from me. I think being here has made me less fearful of being stressed and of being under loads of pressure.

These things are constants in life- may it be in different levels and forms- and the only thing you can control is how you deal with them.

But uni has also taught me to give time to the things that I genuinely enjoy. Sometimes uni and life can get overwhelming so it’s always good to have things that make you happy and take your mind off of things. Self-care is extremely important and should always be a priority (in my case, it’s watching ice hockey and treating myself to a good meal).

It’s only Week 5 so I can’t really be sentimental about my past few years at uni yet because it currently feels like the end is still so so far (because it is). Multiple challenges are still coming my way but I’ve already come so far, I’m prepared to face all of them and come out on the other side with a smile.

I wish you all the best while you’re here at La Trobe and even after it! We all know we need it. See you around!

1

Veashka

2 Comments

1. Hi Veahska,

What a beautiful reflection, love it!!! I totally agree, uni will change the way you think about so many things! Good luck with the rest of the semester 🙂

Cheers, Natasja

• Hello Natasja,

Thank you for your kind words! Good luck to you, too!

Veashka