Presentation Jitters

By now, your teachers and demonstrators have probably already given you a list of your assessments. Most likely, they’ll involve group work and presenting in front of your fellow course mates. To put simply: a nightmare. Haha, I’m kidding.

Melinda wrote a blog post about some tips she thought could help to get prepared for your first presentation. Found here.

I consider myself quite lucky because public speaking has never been a fear of mine. But I do know some friends who would rather write 10 reports that are due on the same day than talk in front of a bunch of people. However, as with everything, it’s all about the attitude you have when approaching and tackling it.

Whenever I feel terrified or when I feel like I’m not in the right mindset for a presentation, I usually like to watch excellent public speakers do what they do best for inspiration- watching them stress on certain words, change intonation on others, etc etc.

If not, well, at least I don’t have to convince an entire country to vote for me like in this Barack Obama speech (who, may I say, is such a phenomenal public speaker):

Mine definitely won’t be as great as his but it helps me feel like I might just have it in me to get as close to it as I can get.

Here’s a good video on structuring your speeches and presentations well so that you and your audience can follow your line of thought well.

If you’re still struggling and would rather someone teach you and show you exactly how you need to improve on your presentation style, you’re in luck.

PRESENTATIONS – FEAR NO MORE!

Presenting is the greatest fear by people all over the world!

This workshop will focus on how to prepare, create, and present.

When: September 7, 2017; 1 pm to 2 pm

Where: TLC 114

Register here!

Presentations are only as scary and frightening as you make them to be. I know everyone always says that but it’s true. It’s not that bad. Obviously me saying these things and you actually being in them are two extremely different situations but I hope you attend the workshop and I hope this helped anyway!

Good luck!

1

Veashka