Learn and Earn

Being in my third year of university, a lot of subjects that I’m doing have started integrating real world skills and have started putting us in situations that we’ll possibly encounter once we’re a part of the workforce. For example, one of my assessments has us devising a phase III clinical trial for a drug with people we barely know and it’s stressing all of us out but we’re coping. It’s not like these people bite… right?

200

Source: giphy.com

What our lecturers and demonstrators have also done is that they have started introducing us to opportunities that will help jumpstart our careers and our life after university. There are numerous programs and opportunities, even ones right here in La Trobe, that are interesting and challenging and very well worth it.

The LIMS Research Summer Theme Scholarships are available to chosen second and third year undergraduate students that want to undertake a research project during the summer holidays under research themes that are currently associated and being at the La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 11.20.55 am

The themes include:

• Cancer
  • Neurobiology
  • Infection and Immunity
  • Molecular Design
  • Molecular Imaging
  • Molecular Sensing

To be selected, you have to be a second or third year undergraduate student who is currently undertaking subjects associated with LIMS like Biochemistry, Chemistry, Genetics, Physics and Pharmacy/Applied Science.

If you’re interested, you must approach potential supervisors to confirm if they are able to provide a research project for you in their laboratory and that they are willing to supervise you throughout the Summer Internship program. The easiest way to find projects is to get a copy of the Honours/PhD project booklet.The website also has further information on the researches going on in LIMS. There’s no need to be shy or apprehensive because these academics want all the help that they can get and if you feel that you are fit to give that help, go for it.

Have I mentioned that it is a paid internship? That’s right. It goes for a month and you get paid weekly. It’s such a good opportunity.

Here is a downloadable application form: LIMS-Research-Theme-Summer-Vacation-Scholarship-Application-Form 2016-7. Submit your applications via email to LIMS.Research@latrobe.edu.au. Do this no later than Monday, 31st of October 2016.

I suggest everyone start enquiring and applying soon because the spots for the scholarships are limited.

If you feel like you’re earning enough (does anyone feel this though? haha), there are numerous volunteering opportunities all over Victoria that you can join. Volunteering at an institution or for a cause that you’re passionate about is one of the best and most fulfilling ways to fill your time and feel like you’ve done some sort of contribution to the world. Believe me. I’m currently volunteering at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and it has been extremely rewarding and is proving to be the best way for me to shut off and not think about uni or other responsibilities.

Even with only a few more months to go, a lot of us are still vacillating, trying to weigh the pros and cons of every opportunity. There are certainly some lucky people out there who know exactly where they want to go which is fantastic. But life isn’t a race, you have to do things at your own pace and do what’s best for you and everything else will follow.

What about you? Do you know what you want to do after university? Let me know! Maybe I’ll get some ideas because I’m still thinking really hard about it and my head has started to hurt. Haha!

Veashka