Other O-Week Activities

So, now that you know about the workshops that cater specifically to your course… What about other activities that can help you navigate through university better? Well, I have the perfect list for you!

Library

Befriend the library, treat it well and make it your best friend because the library is a gift that keeps on giving. It is equal parts the best and worst place to be at. Best because it’s a really good place to get productive and find reliable sources. Worst because it can get noisy and crowded and will provide tons of distractions and will aid your procrastination(if this is the case, go to the 3rd floor).

There are various times for a Library Starter Class that students can attend to learn about the facility and what it has to offer to support us in our studies. The classes are held on the 19th – the 21st of July. Class times will vary depending on which day you want to attend. The times are listed on the Orientation Planner.

Library Tours are also ran during O-Week. On the 19th of July, it runs from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM. On the 20th, it runs from 9:30 AM to 10:30 PM. While it runs twice on the 21st: from 1:30 PM to 2:00 PM and another tour at 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM.

Will I really not sleep all that much? Will I have to study hours upon hours of content? Will I have to give up a social life? Is the “Freshman Fifteen” a real phenomenon? Am I not allowed to leave once lab pracs start? How will I make friends? What happens if I fail a subject? HOW DO I EVEN UNI? AAAAAAAAAHHHH

giphy (3)

Source: giphy.com

Going into university, we all have our own preconceived notions. I mean, I know I definitely had mine. A lot of people also gave me their own views about their uni experience. But if you want to know how to successfully navigate university and how to make your way through university life… the Myth Busters: What’s Uni Really Like Student Panel is the best session to go to. You’ll learn a lot from actual students who have been in your shoes and you’ll be able to listen to staff explain what is demanded from you. Go to The Learning Commons building, room 215 on July 21, 2016 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 noon to get educated.

The Student Union is holding their event at the Agora from 12:00 noon to 1:00 PM on July 21. This event will give students a chance to meet and mingle with the leaders from the different and various groups that the Student Union runs like the environment, queer, welfare, disability, women, ethnocultural departments, to name a few. You’ll get to know the union and how to get involved with them.

agora-FB

Source: latrobe.edu.au

They’ll have free BBQ and drinks on hand and they’ll be scattering bean bags around the Agora for people to relax and chill on (I may or may not have definitely snoozed on these bean bags quite a few times).

The Academic Integrity Module and Wominjeka modules are compulsory for La Trobe University students. An info session is held at Eastern Lecture Theatre 2 on both the 20th and 21st of July at 9:30 AM to 10:00 AM to inform students how to complete both modules.

giphy (8)

Source: giphy.com

If you struggle to grasp the how the Learning Management System (LMS) works or what exactly is the purpose of StudentOnLine or exactly how to connect your devices to the university’s Wi-Fi, then the IT Masterclasses on the 19th, 20th and 21st of July should be of interest to you. You may want to bring your devices to this masterclass so you can follow along the presentation. BG is the Beth Gleeson Building.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 3.24.07 pm

One common denominator between all of us, uni students, is that we’re constantly broke. There are just so many activities, so much food and drinks to consume, and so many events to be at that seem to just plow through our budgets. The Money Matters talk would definitely be of financial assistance to students who are living on a budget or want to live on a budget to save money for “rainy days”. It’s at the East Lecture Theatre 2 on the 21st of July at 3:00 PM – 3:30 PM.

Patrick-Meme-I-Have-3-Dollars-12

it’s a good day when i have $3 to my name

Source: wordpress.com

O-Week is a week dedicated to everyone new to the university. There’s a lot more activities in and around the uni that’s just waiting for you to take part in (make your own calendar of activities on the Orientation Planner.

This week is the perfect time for you to jump out of your comfort zone and hit the ground running. Conquer O-Week and your chances of conquering the semester will definitely be high! Go for it!

Veashka