HELP! IT’S ORIENTATION WEEK!

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka

Source: knowyourmeme.com

Orientation Week (and I say this without any exaggeration) is a PACKED week. There’s so much going on that it’s bordering on overwhelming. It seems like the best game plan is to split yourself into several pieces just to be able to go to all the activities that are being offered.

Now see, THAT is a bit drastic because there’s an easy way to get organised. It’s through the Orientation Planner. It lets you plug in your specific details and informs you of all the activities that are tailored to you and the degree/discipline that you are in. Pretty neat, right?

I’ve done this as an example:

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 11.38.57 am

Once you click browse, it lists down all the activities, with their respective time and location, that may be of interest to you.

But lucky you, here are some activities that I suggest you prioritise going to because they’ll be of utmost help. Trust me, it’s a “been there, done that” sort of thing, okay?

Science, Health and Engineering Welcome and Course Expectations

This session is on the 19th of July and it starts at 9:30 AM and lasts till 11:00 AM at Western Lecture Theatre 1 and 2. This will be an introduction activity that’ll help you understand your course and the teaching methods that will be used. It’ll also shed light on what to expect and what is expected of you (sleepless nights and stress eating are among that, to be perfectly honest. haha!) and you’ll get to meet fellow students (who are quite possibly as lost and terrified as you are)!

Right after that, there’s a Morning Tea

ilovefood

Source: twicsy.com

Here at SHE we love to give and give and give some more so, obviously, after giving you all that information about your studies and your degree and overwhelming you with thoughts about marks and core subjects… It’s now time for us to give you food. The morning tea will be at the Western Lecture Theatre lawn and foyer from 11 AM to 11:30 AM. There will be slices upon slices of sweets and warm drinks.

At the same time, various clubs and societies of the Student Union will also be present. You’ll be able to meet and interact with club members and inquire about membership, benefits, and the activities they have planned. Here’s a list of the clubs and societies in the university that might interest you!

Campus Tour 

Following the morning tea, the tour will leave the WLT Foyer. It’ll consist of showing students around the spots and areas in the campus that they’ll be going to and using the most. You’ll be showed where most of the Science laboratory practicals will be which is the LIMS building- it’s the cool building with the sculptures and wide stairs, my personal favourite. They’ll show you where the library is, orientate you with the Agora and show you the other relevant lecture theatres and on-campus residence areas.

ezgif-739349980

Source: giphy.com

But don’t worry too much if you can’t remember where everything is, the LostOnCampus App is your best friend. As someone who is quite directionally challenged, that app has saved my life so many times I feel like I should send the makers a fruit basket as a thank you.

Maths Skills Program

ezgif-1145788220

Source: giphy.com

This workshop is definitely catered to students (like myself!) who might need a leg up in the Maths department. But if you’re curious as to what type of calculations you’ll need to know/remember how to do, feel free to go! It’s on at 12:45 PM to 1:30 PM on July 19 at HS1 135.

sunset-summer-golden-hour-paul-filitchkin

Source: pexels.com

I remember thanking the heavens that I went to the success at Uni learning session because this workshop basically helps you be “in the know” about exactly what you should do to ace all your exams and assessments. They provide extremely helpful insights on how to properly take down notes (it’s not writing down everything on the projected slide… which, admittedly, I used to do. Haha!), dissecting your readings, and managing your time to stay on top of all your responsibilities. The workshop is on the 19th of July at 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM at Western Lecture Theatres 1 and 2.

Oh boy, writing and referencing. Going into university, I had no idea how to reference anything. The minute my demonstrator started talking about journal articles and the various referencing styles, I was the personification of a huge question mark. Embarrassing, I know.

what

literally me! hahaha

Source: giphy.com

Since you cannot “fake it ‘till you make it” your way out of this situation, you should go to the learning session about assignments, writing, and referencing. This workshop will discuss academic writing and referencing and how to handle the different types of assessments that your lecturers and demonstrators will throw at you.

Lastly, Ready4Uni is a really helpful website for new students. It’s basically a one-stop shop for a lot of basic inquiries and questions that you might have. It has details on how to access your timetable, enrolment, how to get your Student Card, how to log on to LMS, and so much more.

Arm yourself with the right workshops and for sure, orientation week will be a breeze.

Be safe out there, kids! See you around!

Veashka