2

HOW TO STUDY BASED ON YOUR EXAM TIMETABLE

The exam timetable has well and truly come out and you can access it here http://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/timetables. You’re either shouting for joy, crying with fear or a bit of both. The ideal is to have your exams spaced out but not too spaced out so that you can finish early and get a longer semester break. As you’ve probably noticed as a uni student, ideals do not usually become reality. Here are a few tips to think about in preparation for your exams based on your timetable.

meg

We feel you, Meg.

Source: giphy.com 

PUT EXAMS IN YOUR DIARY

After checking out my exam dates, I was shocked to realise that my exams start in 29 days. But I only just figured out where my tutorial room is… how did this go so quickly? Anyways, having your exams written in some sort of calendar format allows you to visualise your exam period. Be sure to write down the time and date and venue of you exam.

Last year, a friend who shall remain nameless, thought his exam was at 2pm instead of 9am. Luckily he had set an early alarm to get in some last minute cramming and saw a text from a classmate asking about the morning exam. Realising 20 mins before writing time, he called a cab and told the driver to go as fast as he could. Given that taxi drivers already drive like they’re in ‘Fast and Furious’, you can just image the number of traffic violations that occurred in order to get him to that exam on time. The moral of the story= know when your exams are!

giphy tokyo drift

Source: giphy.com

IF YOU HAVE EXAMS THAT ARE CLOSE TOGETHER

Panic. Go to the airport. Catch the next flight to somewhere far, far away. Never ever return.

I’m just messing around because honestly, if you’ve gotten through week 10, you can get through exams. Having two exams in two days or even two exams in one day can happen. The larger SHE subjects tend to have their exams earlier so they can all be marked in time for results (hey there, Biosciences A + Molecules, Genes and Cells).

Make sure you study for all your exams equally. I know I have the habit of studying for the exam I have first and then worrying about the others later. However, if the exam is the next day, this doesn’t really work.

f_7c10b9eace

when you leave study to the last minute

Source: youtube.com

In saying this, you want to base the amount of study you do for each exam on their worth. Some of my exams are worth 30% and others are worth 60%. Time is something the majority of you that have exams close together, will not have. So,  understanding the marking scheme for each subject may save you some stress and indicates where to focus your time.

IF YOU HAVE EXAMS IN THE FIRST WEEK

My number one tip is get organised. I know I’ve said don’t leave your notes to the last minute. However, for the unlucky ones that have first week exams, making your notes and learning them in the one week of SWOTVAC is impossible. That last statement excludes people with photographic memory. Comment on this post if you have a photographic memory because it would be interesting to know/steal your powers!

witch

give me your gift of memory!

Source: buzzfeed.com

You really need to start preparing now. Set a few times during week 11 and 12 to catch up on your work. Everyone doing your degree probably has a similar timetable to you, so get a step ahead. You’ll feel so much better going into SWOTVAC knowing you can do past papers and not focus on learning key concepts from scratch a few days before the exam. Plus, you’ll be able to watch your Monday night Game of Thrones episode without feeling guilty!

IF YOU HAVE EXAMS IN THE LAST WEEK

I am one of these people. I have 10 days between my 3rd and my last exam. When will this semester ever end? Everyone else will be having fun and posting celebratory MyStories and I’ll beon Youtube watching ‘the best of the running man challenge’ for the third time.

I am usually driven in the first week of exams but after 10 days of not seeing the sun, your motivation starts to disappear. The fact is, we are lucky we get to really revise for these later exams. We didn’t get the Band-Aid ripped off, it’s coming off slowly; which is less painful but more testing of our nerves.

sunlight

sunlight got me like

Source: giphy.com

Don’t lose hope and don’t leave the study to the last minute because you think you have heaps of time. We have the advantage of being able to do a little bit of study everyday. So have a break by having a coffee, going to the gym or meeting a friend (just any form of human contact really!) This will keep you going and ensure that the exam period ends before you do.

Good luck guys!

Denise

2 Comments

1. There are some intriguing points in time in this post but I do’t understand if
    I see all of them middle to heart. There is some validity but I ‘ll take hold opinion until
    I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we need more!
    Added to FeedBurner as well.

• Hi Francesca,

Thanks for your comment! We are in the process of hiring our semester 2 bloggers now. New post will be up around the middle of July! Best of luck on your final exams!

Suzanne, First Year Coordinator, SHE