NOW WE’RE STRESSED OUT

Welcome back, all! Does anyone feel like that week went way to fast? I don’t know how its possible, but I actually feel more behind in my uni work than I did before. The mid-semester break being so early in the semester means that many subjects are only asking for the first assessments to be completed around about now… I have 3 assessments due in the next week and I’m beginning to feel the heat.

giphy-3

Source: giphy.com

Here’s a few things we all can do to stay on top of everything and stay sane:

PLAN YOUR ASSESSMENTS

I’ve written all my assignments and what each is worth % wise in the ‘assessment planner’ at the front of the uni diary. Last year, I just waited until I saw a bombardment of LMS forum posts from other worried students before I even thought about an upcoming assignment. Which in hindsight, was not the best study technique as there were times where my stress levels were through the roof and my sleeping patterns were out of whack.

SET GOALS

SHE students are aware that writing an assignment doesn’t just happen overnight but in stages. Some of these stages include

• Reading the assignment criteria
  • Gathering any lecture notes/prac reports about the topic
  • Sifting through thousands of articles to be used as evidence
  • Plan your assessment
  • Write your assessment
  • Edit your assessment
  • Reference your assessment

Therefore, don’t just say you’re going to ‘do’ your assignment. Pick a stage in the process and let that be your goal of the moment. This will make the task seem less overwhelming and achievable.

goal

Source: gifsec.com

GO OUTSIDE

Have you ever set aside a whole day to smash out an assignment and vowed to not leave your desk? I’m guilty of this and if you’re like me and are someone who gets distracted easily, then you’ll know this doesn’t work. If you sit there for hours on end, you will lose concentration, motivation and begin to procrastinate.

Experts recommend taking a break from study every half an hour, so take their advice and get some fresh air! You don’t have to go and do an intense workout for exercise (don’t worry the Arnold Classic is over) but even just a run or walk around the block will do you some good!

i46nl

Source: imageflip.com

REWARD YOURSELF

Take some time out over the next week and go out with your friends on Saturday night, binge on a Netflix series (or two) or go on a shopping splurge. Whatever you do, make sure it’s guilt free and that you forget about all the work you have to do. Doing this will relax you and rejuvenate you.

MY PREVIOUS BLOG POSTS 

I would like to think that my previous posts ‘How to Tackle Group Assessments’, ‘The Cheats Guide to Referencing’ and ‘Turning In Assignments’ helped some of you to prepare for the weeks ahead. If you haven’t already had a look at them, go check them out!

TALK TO SOMEONE

FRIENDS -- "The One Where Rachel Finds Out" Episode 124 -- Pictured: (l-r) Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe Buffay, David Schwimmer as Ross Geller, Jennifer Aniston as Rachel Green, Courteney Cox as Monica Geller, Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing -- (Photo by: Alice S. Hall/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank)

Source: whatstrending.com

Talking to friends and family to have a good rant can be therapeutic. However, if you feel as if you are very overwhelmed or need help, know that La Trobe’s free counselling service is always there to listen. latrobe.edu.au/students/wellbeing/counselling

These sights are also very useful and offer free help services:

beyondblue.org.au

headspace.org.au

Stay strong and let the force be with you!

hqdefault

Source: youtube.com

Denise