1

TURNING IN YOUR ASSIGNMENTS

You’ve just spent hours labouring over your assignment and hit that save button for the last time. You ecstatically remove all those tabs you had open and delete all those screenshots that are covering your laptop display picture of you and your cat

cat lady

me in 20 years

Source: flickr.com

Don’t get too ahead of yourself. Once you finish your assignment and are ready to submit, you have to face TurnItIn. A lot of students struggle with understanding why TurnItIn is used and what it all means, especially if they haven’t used it before. I’m here to tell you that it isn’t that hard to master once you understand a few simple things about the program:

WHAT IS IT?

TurnItIn is a software program that matches texts with the work you have submitted and can catch you out on plagiarism.

giphykermit

Source: giphy.com

It gives you a percentage of text it recognises as copied:

• Blue = no matching text
  • Green = 1-24%
  • Yellow = 25-49%
  • Orange = 50-74%
  • Red = 75-100%

HOW DO I SUBMIT?

1. Within each subject page, there should be an assessments folder where you will find a link for your TurnItIn submission that will look like this.Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.11.56 am
  2. Click on the TurnItIn link and your screen should look as follows. You then click ‘submit paper.’Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.17.39 am
  3. Browse the file you wish to submit.
  4. Enter a new submission title, its always a good idea to put your student ID as part of the heading.
  5. Check the box to confirm the submission is your own work.
  6. After a few minutes, you should be able to see your assignment come up in the submission box with the similarity index.Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 2.19.16 pm
  7. You will have receive an email to your student inbox upon successful submission. giphyfriends2

Source: giphy.com

REFRESH, REFRESH, REFRESH!

It can take quite a while for the similarity report to be generated. When I first submitted an assignment, I was staring at my computer screen for an hour with nothing happening (okay, I had Facebook open in another tab but you get my drift). That’s an hour of my life I’ll never get back so to save you from making my mistake, I suggest you do one thing… HIT THE REFRESH SUBMISSION BUTTON!

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 9.52.30 am

DON’T PANIC IF YOUR PERCENTAGE IS HIGH

Essentially, red is bad and green is good (as with most things). However, don’t stress if you have a similarity percentage that is in the yellow, orange or even red because sometimes, your assessment could be based off a template you’ve had to use in class etc. Your tutor/facilitator should warn you if this is the case and if they don’t, double-check with them if the similarity your assessment generated is acceptable.

Your quotes, in-text references and bibliography should be recognized by the TurnItIn system, so don’t freak out if your whole bibliography is a sea of red because it just means TurnitIn is doing its job!

CAN I SUBMIT MY ASSIGNMENT TWICE?

If you want to check your similarity report isn’t too high, then you can submit your assignment multiple times. When you submit the updated document, the older submissions may still be present in the submissions box but the most recently uploaded assignment will be the one that is graded. Be warned that there is an additional 24 hour delay when resubmitting.

DON’T LEAVE IT TO THE LAST MINUTE

We are warned by our tutors/facilitators that it can take up to 24 hours for a submission to be generated in TurnItIn. It usually doesn’t take this long but if you leave submission until five minutes before the due time, chances are the system will be slower (because you’re not the only one leaving their submission to the last second).

12194611_10153746627512079_3573593988553221050_o

This person literally left it ’till the last second!

SO, I DON’T NEED A HARD COPY?

Hard copies of assessments are rarely submitted these days as we move towards being a more sustainable university. Also, most tutors/facilitators will only require a TurnItIn submission as the software doubles as an effective means of online submission. HOWEVER, you may be required to submit the assignment again to another platform. Make sure you have quadruple-checked the means of submission by looking at your assessment guide, talking to your tutor/facilitator or scrolling through the subject forum.

Good luck with TurnItIn and I hope I have helped! Remember to check you receive an email of successful submission! These days, ‘technical difficulties with TurnItIn’ is a more common excuse than ‘the dog ate my homework’ and let me tell you, tutors/facilitators don’t appreciate it!

stock-illustration-12194471-dog-ate-my-homework-cartoon-pet-reading-education

Source: gettyimages

REMINDER: census date is on the 29th March!

Denise

One Comment

1. Great info and tips, sharing among my network. This is a useful way to develop paraphrasing and interpretation of concepts skills. The gifs are cool ~:-)