HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS?

No, I’m not talking about having second thoughts about whether you should have gotten the caramel latte instead of the chai (I’m personally a cappuccino). I’m referring more to whether you are having second thoughts about your studies

chai-latte-1110053_960_720

Raise your hand if you could do with one of these right now?

Source: pixabay.com

If you ask someone that has completed a university degree, they will almost always tell you the workforce is nothing like the stuff you learn at uni. Does this mean sitting in on all those lectures is just a waste of time? No, because the things we learn at uni are preparing us for the new experiences we will face once we get out there. Especially in the fields of science, health, engineering and technology, the concepts and ideas are constantly evolving. So, we are not necessarily being taught what to learn but how to learn it.

Konfuzius-1770

Call me Confucius

Source: wikipedia.org

INFO SESSION

However, if you feel like the things you are learning at uni are not interesting you at all or your course wasn’t your first preference, you should consider the ‘Having Second Thoughts?’ information session. You’ll hear from career consultants and students who have successfully changed direction talk about career options, course transfers and support services. The information session will be held on Tuesday 22nd March from 3-4:30 pm in the library. Bookings can be made through this link; so get cracking because spaces are filling fast! latrobe.edu.au/students/careers/career-planning/having-second-thoughts

MY EXPERIENCE

I am one of the many university students that have changed their pathway. I was originally studying law at another institution and decided after a year that I wanted to follow my true passion of speech pathology (I also didn’t think I would look on point in the wig 😉

2638185409_4617c55376

Being the next Judge Judy was not my calling

Source: flickr.com

Jokes aside, it was a big decision for me to make and at the time and I was unsure whether I was making the right one. Yet, I did my research and followed my gut instinct and couldn’t be happier with my choice.

CENSUS DATE

Semester 1 census date is on March 29th and refers to the last day you can withdraw from a subject without having to pay for it. You can change the subjects you’re enrolled in through StudentOnline and if you are having difficulty, go visit the ASK La Trobe desk in the library (thankfully, the lines have eased off). Even if you’re satisfied with your subjects, still double-check that your enrolment is correct before the 29th.

Completing subjects that seem irrelevant or dull are pretty much part of our uni experience but if you If you identify with being unsure whether you’re current course is for you, don’t just sit there and let time pass you by. Go to the information so you can make the right decision for you and remember, there is always more than one direction to your future career!

imagen_png_de_one_direction_by_marieegrandedelvalle-d50bw3f

Some pre-pubescent 1D for your Thursday morning

Source:deviantart.com

Denise