CHANGES TO PARKING IN 2016

One of the things we students like to complain about most in this world is parking. If I’m not annoyed about having to park far from my classes, I’m angry at the guy whose parked next to me on a shocking angle (I always try to straighten up my car if I don’t get it in the first go…but I think that’s less because I want to be considerate and more because I don’t want to end up on StalkerSpace!)

GIFSec.com

Source: gifsec.com

WHAT’S NEW

Parking regulations differ between campuses but there are quite a few new initiatives being rolled out on the Bundoora campus in particular:

• vPermit
  • virtual permits will be replacing window stickers (but now I can’t creepily recognise when other drivers on the road go to La Trobe… shame)
  • pay online for an annual or half-yearly permit
  • Pay-As-You-Go Parking
  • Will replace current ticketing machines
  • Instead of receiving a ticket, all you need to do is tap in your registration plate and the time you plan to stay
  • This will be introduced from 11th of April 2016

TO PERMIT OR NOT TO PERMIT

These first few weeks of uni will see the car parks full to capacity, so I always TRY to arrive five minutes before class to account for this. However, by week 8, the car parks (particularly 2A in Bundoora), begin to resemble a ghost town. I would say of the students who drive to uni, half will pay for a permit and the rest will pay as-they-go at the ticket machines.

ADVANTAGE OF A PERMIT:

• don’t have to line up at the ticket machines each time before class (when you’re normally in a rush)

DISADVANTAGE OF A PERMIT:

• $$$

To work out what is cheaper for you, look at how many contact hours you have and the price of the permit vs the prices of the ticket machine. The mathematicians and engineers will probably do this with ease but the health science students might need to whip out their calculators!

Denise